- 2 C AP flour
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2oz butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 3 each large eggs
- 1 Tbsp white wine
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- canola oil, for frying
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour, lemon and orange zests, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Add the eggs, wine and vanilla; pulse until the mixture forms into a ball; wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a pot, heat the oil to 375F.
- In another pot, combine the honey, sugar and lemon juice over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the sugar is dissolved, about 3-4 minutes, set aside off the heat.
- Cut the dough into 4 equal size pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece of dough until ¼ inch thick. Cut each strip into ½ inch pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a small ball about the size of a hazelnut and lightly dredge in flour.
- Drop the balls into the fryer, make sure they’re all separated in the oil and fry until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Toss the struffoli in the warm HONEY mixture, allow the mixture to coat the balls.
- Place a water glass in the center of a plate and spray the platter and the outside of the glass with nonstick spray.
- Using a slotted spoon, arrange the struffoli on the platter and pile up to form a wreath shape.
- Top with sprinkles and dust with powdered sugar.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.